Kees van der Staaij
Kees van der Staaij (1968) has been an MP for the Conservative Christian (Reformist) Party since 1998 and party leader since 2010. Prior to that he was a lawyer for the Council of State.
He observed in a recent interview in De Volkskrant, "I think it's important that we all find our way depending on God. Not to take out insurance for everything. Or to vaccinate against everything. Restraint appeals to me as an attitude to life."
He calls for:
- 3 to 4 billion Euros for the military
- Pruning the EU: fewer tasks, less funding, fewer regulations
- Treaties that transfer sovereignty to Brussels should be adopted only with two-thirds majority in both chambers
- Significant reduction in remittances to EU
- Members to be forced to leave the Eurozone if they do not play by the rules.